What is Affordable Housing?
The Housing Authority of the City of Lee’s Summit is a political subdivision of the State of Missouri as defined under Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 99 Municipal Housing. The Housing Authority is funded by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development for the administration of affordable housing programs in Lee’s Summit and Jackson County Missouri.
- Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities.
- LSHA owns and manages the properties and enforces the leases.
- There are 116 units in the public housing residential communities Duncan Estates and Lea Haven.
Who is Eligible?
Public housing is limited to low-income families and individuals. An PHA determines your eligibility based on: 1) annual gross income; 2) whether you qualify as elderly, a person with a disability, or as a family; and 3) U.S. citizenship or eligible immigration status. If you are eligible, the HA will check your references to make sure you and your family will be good tenants. HAs will deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a detrimental effect on other tenants or on the project’s environment.
HAs use income limits developed by HUD. HUD sets the lower income limits at 80% and very low income limits at 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which you choose to live. Income limits vary from area to area so you may be eligible at one HA but not at another.
Housing Choice Voucher (HCV Section 8 Program)
- The housing choice voucher program is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly and the disabled to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing in the private market.
- A voucher provides subsidy between what a low-income family can afford and what the private market demands for rental housing.
- The private landlord is responsible for property management and lease enforcement.
- There are approximately 649 vouchers administered by LSHA.
- The Housing Authority works with over 450 landlords/owners who participate in the HCV program
Am I eligible?
Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the PHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status. In general, the family’s income may not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live. By law, a PHA must provide 75 percent of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30 percent of the area median income. Median income levels are published by HUD and vary by location. The PHA serving your community can provide you with the income limits for your area and family size you can also find the income limits here on the internet
During the application process, the PHA will collect information on family income, assets, and family composition. The PHA will verify this information with other local agencies, your employer and bank, and will use the information to determine program eligibility and the amount of the housing assistance payment
If the PHA determines that your family is eligible, the PHA will put your name on a waiting list, unless it is able to assist you immediately. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, the PHA will contact you and issue to you a housing voucher.
How do I apply?
If you are interested in applying for a the Public Housing Program or Housing Choice Voucher, contact the local PHA.
What regulations cover this program?
Regulations are found in 24 CFR Part 982.
The Housing Authority of the City of Lee’s Summit, MO is dedicated to providing our community with quality affordable housing that is decent, well maintained, and free from drugs and violent crime.
LEE’S SUMMIT HOUSING AUTHORITY IS A SMOKE-FREE PROPERTY.